Functional Skills English Test
Take your Functional Skills English Level 1 or Level 2 exam at an approved centre.
How does it work?
I am currently enrolled on a course with Think Online Training
If you are currently enrolled on a course with us, great! Once you have completed all areas of your course and you are consistently attaining high scores in your progress checks, you can purchase your pre-assessment and exam package at the bottom of this page.
I am not currently enrolled on a course with Think Online Training
If you are not currently enrolled on a course with us and you feel that you are ready to take the exam, please carry on reading before heading to the bottom of the page to book your pre-assessment and exam package.
Functional Skills English Pre-Assessment and Exam Package
Why is the pre-assessment necessary and what does it involve?
1. It ensures you are 100% ready for your final exams.
2. By completing the diagnostic, either after completing your learning or if you are going straight for the exams, it will enable us to see what level you are currently working at and whether you are likely to pass.
3. At this stage, your tutor will contact you to discuss the speaking and listening exam. You will need to prepare one presentation and two discussions. These can be as simple or elaborate as you like! You will be provided with a topic for the formal discussion and will be able to choose a topic of your choice for an informal discussion. Your tutor will advise you on how to prepare for these and give you support and guidance if needed. You will need to have access to a computer with a camera and microphone in order to complete the discussions/presentation online.
4. Once a tutor has confirmed that there are no areas you need to work on, you will be provided with 4 mock tests: 2 Reading and 2 Writing. You will be required to sit these under exam conditions at home (please don’t cheat!! These are done this way to ensure you are able to complete within the allocated time and without any help. Remember: by cheating, you are only cheating yourself; resits are NOT free!) Once you have completed your mocks, your tutor will aim to mark and return them with feedback within 2 weeks (If you are a Think Online learner, depending on which package you are subscribed to, your tutor will be able to provide you with any additional learning material required).
5. Upon completing and achieving the mock tests, we will request your registration (the fee for this is included in the price you have paid) and you will be able to choose a convenient exam date, time and place*. It is possible to complete both the Reading and Writing exams on the same day; this is entirely your personal choice.
(*We will aim to find you a test centre within a 20-mile radius of your home address. If this is not possible, we will contact you to discuss a suitable alternative)
6. Once you have sat your exams, it may take up to 6 weeks before we get your results. At this point we are able to provide you with E-Certificates and your paper certificates will be posted out to you.
7. Remember: should you need to resit any of your exams, you will need to pay the exam fees again! These pre-assessments are designed to give you the best possible chance at passing the exams and therefore will save you both time and money in the long run.
Functional Skills English Test & Pre-Assessment
Important: we aim to respond within 2 hours of payment between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm Monday to Friday. For payments made out-of-hours we’ll respond within one working day to arrange your pre-assessment.
I am currently enrolled on a course with Think Online Training. Can I book my exam online?
How much is the exam?
The exams cost £399. This includes the pre-assessment, 4 mock exams, 2 Reading and 2 Writing, with feedback, advice and guidance for the Speaking, Listening and Communicating (SLC) element, the registration fees, the exams and certification.
What is a pre-assessment?
A pre-assessment includes a diagnostic assessment to determine what level you are currently working at and 4 mock exams, 2 Reading and 2 Writing. These are done to ensure you are 100% ready for the exam.
Why do I need to do a pre-assessment?
Our pre-assessments are designed to help you in the long run! They will give you an idea as to whether you’re ready for the final examination so you can avoid paying for additional resits later down the line.
I've been studying with another provider. Do I still need to do the pre-assessment?
Yes. As explained in the question above, the pre-assessment is required in order to sit your exam and must be a pass to sit the final examination.
What is the duration of the exam?
Reading - 1 hour
Writing - 1 hour 20 minutes
Speaking & Listening - up to 30 minutes
Is the exam on-screen or paper-based?
On-screen. Unfortunately we do not offer paper-based examinations.
What if I need to cancel, refund or reschedule my exam/pre-assessment?
You can cancel or reschedule your final exam up to 3 working days before the agreed date. If you need to cancel within 3 working days of your exam, you will not receive a refund and may be charged again for any additional exam bookings.
Pre-assessments can be taken at any time and do not require a scheduled slot.
Who is the exam accredited with?
City & Guilds are the awarding body that we use in our own test centres however this may vary if you take your exam with one of our partner centres (we aim to use City & Guilds accredited centres wherever possible).
What is the pass mark for the exam?
Indicative pass marks are an indication of what the pass mark will be. Please see the table below for indicative pass marks for each course.
|Level||Subject||Marks available||Indicative Pass Mark (Upper end of the range of pass marks)|
When will I get my results for the final exam?
It can take up to 6 weeks to get your results for the final exam, plus postage time.
If you need your results quickly, we can provide an e-certificate while your certificates are in the post.
- Exam: Functional Skills English Level 2
- Entry Requirements: You are required to demonstrate an ability to pass the mock tests before being put forward for the exams
- Duration: The English exams are made up of three elements: Reading; Writing; and Speaking, Listening and Communicating (SLC). The Reading exam is 1 hour; Writing 1 hour 20 mins; SLC up to 30 minutes.
- Location: see FAQs
- Total Cost: £399
- Results: up to 6 weeks