Functional Skills English Level 2 Guide
Functional Skills English Level 2 course covers 3 main topics:
- Listening and communicating
- Reading and writing
Level 2 English – Speaking, Listening and Communicating
1. Identify relevant information from extended explanations or presentations.
2. Follow narratives and lines of argument.
3. Respond effectively to detailed or extended questions and feedback.
4. Make requests and ask detailed and pertinent questions to obtain specific information in a range of contexts.
5. Communicate information, ideas and opinions clearly and effectively, providing further detail and development if required.
6. Express opinions and arguments and support them with relevant and persuasive evidence.
7. Use language that is effective, accurate and appropriate to context and situation.
8. Make relevant and constructive contributions to move discussion forward.
9. Adapt contributions to discussions to suit audience, purpose and medium.
10. Interject and redirect discussion using appropriate language and register.
Level 2 English – Reading
11. Identify the different situations when the main points are sufficient and when it is important to have specific details.
12. Compare information, ideas and opinions in different texts, including how they are conveyed.
13. Identify implicit and inferred meaning in texts.
14. Understand the relationship between textual features and devices, and how they can be used to shape meaning for different audiences and purposes.
15. Use a range of reference materials and appropriate resources (e.g. glossaries, legends/keys) for different purposes, including to find the meanings of words in straightforward and complex sources.
16. Understand organisational features and use them to locate relevant information in a range of straightforward and complex sources.
17. Analyse texts, of different levels of complexity, recognising their use of vocabulary and identifying levels of formality and bias.
18. Follow an argument, identifying different points of view and distinguishing fact from opinion.
19. Identify different styles of writing and writer’s voice.
Level 2 English – Writing
20. Punctuate writing correctly using a wide range of punctuation markers (e.g. colons, commas, inverted commas, apostrophes and quotation marks).
21. Use correct grammar (e.g. subject-verb agreement, consistent use of a range of tenses, definite and indefinite articles) and modality devices (e.g. to express probability or desirability).
22. Spell words used in work, study and daily life, including a range of specialist words.
23. Communicate information, ideas and opinions clearly, coherently and effectively.
24. Write text of an appropriate level of detail and of appropriate length (including where this is specified) to meet the needs of purpose and audience.
25. Organise writing for different purposes using appropriate format and structure (e.g. standard templates, paragraphs, bullet points, tables).
26. Convey clear meaning and establish cohesion using organisational markers effectively.
27. Use different language and register (e.g. persuasive techniques, supporting evidence, specialist words), suited to audience and purpose.
28. Construct complex sentences consistently and accurately, using paragraphs where appropriate.